Brief History of Brierfield NS
In 1833 land for a school was given by Martin J. Blake Esq of Ballyglunin. The school, housing two rooms was established on June 1st 1834 in Cunniffe’s field next door to the present school. The average attendance was 100 boys and 50 girls.
In April 1894, this school was closed down and temporary school houses were used as male and female schools. In 1895, new premises were completed and Brierfield male and female schools were established, with separate principals.
The premises was used as a separate boys and girls school until 1926 when they were amalgamated. The school was refurbished in the early 1960’s including the provision of an external toilet block.
Over the past decade many changes and improvement have occurred in the school. We have practically built a new school in 2005 , including a Halla Spóirt. During the school year 2006/2007 we added an extra classroom, as our enrolment figures necessitated the appointment of a fourth assistant.
Digitalised School Records
The digitalising of all our school records would not have been possible without the foresight and perseverence of Kevin Curley from Texas, whose ancestors attended the school at the end of the 19th Century, and the Ireland Fund who helped to fund the project. These records are available to view by clicking on the link below.